Saturday, July 19, 2014

Review: Les Miserables Manga (UDON)

Adapted for stage and screen, loved by millions, Victor Hugo's classic novel of love & tragedy during the French Revolution is reborn in this fantastic new manga edition! The gorgeous art of TseMei Lee brings to life the tragic stories of Jean Valjean, Inspector Javert, and the beautiful Fantine, in this epic adaptation of Les Miserables!

UDON’s Manga Classics line features classic stories, faithfully adapted and illustrated in manga style, and available in both hardcover and softcover editions.

Art by TszMei Lee
Adapted by Crystal Chan & Stacy King
Release date: August 12, 2014

More Info: Facebook  * Twitter  * Goodreads

Buy it at: AmazonUdon  *  B&N



My Thoughts: What a delightful surprise to have seen an e-copy of this manga at NetGalley! I had no idea this existed. Mangas are not my usual reads, but I do enjoy them when I get my hands on one. I absolutely love Victor Hugo's Les Miserables. I've read the book years ago and have watched different adaptations of it. I've always wanted to re-read the classic, but due to its size I haven't been able to. This manga was a joy to read because it reminded me why I love Les Miserables, plus it gave me a chance to revisit a beloved story.

This manga covered the important parts of Les Mis. It focused on the tragedies of the main characters, yet at the same time it preserved the sense of hope, love, and faith that the original created. Because I am very familiar with the story, I was able to connect with the situations and characters immediately. I even cried a few times on how horrible the situations and fates were. I would not have thought that a manga would bring tears to my eyes, but this one did. Though a lot was omitted from the original text, the emotions and themes were still strong with this adaptation. I greatly appreciated that. Also, it was nice to remember what happened in the original story.

Next, the artwork was stunning. The cover alone was breathtaking. The use of the character Cosette on the cover has been done before but I'm glad this one recreated it. Having Cosette on the cover not only made sense because she was the symbol of hope and innocence in the story, but also because it was nostalgic for those who adore Les Mis.  I also loved how all of the images in the manga represented the story well. The drawings matched the emotions and events that were happening. They were beautifully drawn. It amazed me to think of all of the work that was put into it to recreate this classic.

This book was created in the style of manga, the Japanese comics. Not only were the images in the style of anime, but the book read just like a manga: right to left. Even though I had an e-copy, I still had to read this starting from the end! Yes, the end! This was very fun. Of course, for those who are not accustomed to reading mangas, the book was nice enough to give information on how to read these style of comics. I was very much entertained by this.

As a whole, this manga was beautifully put together! It captured the essence of Victor Hugo's classic with its gorgeous drawings and focusing on the important events and themes. I came to love this book so much that I want to buy the hardcover edition to add to my shelves. This is a must have for anyone who loves Les Miserables! I rate it:



*I received an e-copy courtesy of NetGalley*

Image from Udon Entertainment

1 comment:

  1. Ohhhhh cool!!!!!!!!
    I love it when they make graphic novels out of classics! How fun!

    ReplyDelete