Saturday, January 18, 2014

Audiobook + Movie Review: Matilda


Read by Sarah Greene

Synopsis: Matilda is a sweet, exceptional young girl, but her parents think she's just a nuisance. She expects school to be different but there she has to face Miss Trunchbull, a kid-hating terror of a headmistress. When Matilda is attacked by the Trunchbull she suddenly discovers she has a remarkable power with which to fight back. It'll take a superhuman genius to give Miss Trunchbull what she deserves and Matilda may be just the one to do it!

My Thoughts: I cannot believe that it took me this long to "read" this book! I've seen the movie multiple times when I was younger but never took the time to read the book. I'm very glad that I finally did because this was a marvelous book. It has become a new favorite of mine.

The story of Matilda was very humorous and fun. The thought of self-centered and idiotic parents creating a genius of a child and not appreciate her was very amusing. Though one can't help but feel a little sorry for Matilda for being the unloved child, it was still very entertaining to see the whole family dynamics here. Then to top off the negative things in Matilda's life you had the character Miss Trunchball. Miss Trunchball was the perfect example of students' greatest nightmare. Her character added to the fantasy and entertainment of this story.

What I loved best about this book was the message about books. Matilda loved to read and her world was surrounded by literature. Matilda alluded to other works of fiction. It was very evident that Dahl had a passion for books in the way it spoke out with Matilda's character. The author lets the reader know that books were treasures for they allow readers to escape reality.

I was very entertained listening to this audio because of the reader, Sarah Greene. I loved her enthusiasm and her tone throughout the book. She made all of the characters come to life and knew how to emphasize on all of the important parts. I was not bored at all listening to this audio.

Overall, I am very glad that I took the chance to listen to this production. Matilda is a classic that should be introduce to every child. I rate it:



Movie


Release Date: August 2, 1996
Running Time: 98 minutes
Director: Danny DeVito
Starring: Marra Wilson, Danny DeVito, Rhea Perlman

This was my favorite movie as a child. I would watch it multiple times and not get bored with it. It was very fun and "scary".

I loved the cast. We had Danny DeVito who directed and acted both as the narrator and Matilda’s father. He was hilarious and stayed true to the book's character.  Rhea Perlman played Matilda’s mother. I loved how nasally she made the character sound. Then we had Marra Wilson who played Matilda. She was not the best child actress but I still loved her.

Everything in the movie was exaggerated to make it more entertaining. The terrors at the school with Miss Trunchball were scarier in the movie than in the book. We get to see how much of a wacko this character was and we get to see what the "chokie" really was. Next, Matilda's powers were more extreme in the movie as well. Though I loved watching Matilda use her powers in the movie, now after reading the book, I would have liked it that it stuck to the book. In the book, Matilda only needed her powers as a protection of the negative people in her life and go away when these people are gone. In the movie, Matilda was simply a gifted child. However, this little alteration did not stop me from enjoying this movie.

As an adult, I still find this movie entertaining. I'm not obsessed about as much as when I was younger, but it does bring back wonderful memories. The movie will continue to be one of my favorites.

3 comments:

  1. I've never read this book but the movie has always been a favourite of mine. I love the comparison review. I now think I may have to check out the book. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like this movie but have never read the book, sounds like I need to. Thanks for the review

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dahl's books are pretty fantastic. I read Witches a few years ago. I loved the movie as a kid.

    ReplyDelete