Friday, October 18, 2013

Friday Hops, 10/18/13



This hop is hosted by Billy over at Ramblings of a Coffee Addicted Writer. Every week bloggers answer a question and then visit other blogs that are participating.  This week's question is:

Halloween Edition: Norman Bates VS Hannibal Lecter: Which one of these famous book murderers is scarier?  

A: Gosh, I would have to say Hannibal Lecter. I know Norman Bates is one crazy mo'fo, but I rather be stuck in a room with him versus Hannibal. Hannibal would just eat my face off while still alive *shudder.*


(Optional Question: Who is your favorite book villain?) This one is a tough one...it's tied between two classic villain characters: Count Dracula and Erik, the Opera Ghost. Count Dracula was described as a monster who tried to destroy the main characters and claimed one as his own. His character had inspired hundreds of adaptations that have turned him into something sexy. Erik, on the other hand, has not inspired as many adaptations like Dracula but he too is a recognizable villain. He's the mad man whose in love with an opera singer and who would do ANYTHING to make sure he has her. Phantom of the Opera is one of my favorite books (and musicals) so I cannot help but love Erik.


Book Beginnings on Friday is hosted by Rose City Reader and The Friday 56 is hosted at Freda's Voice.


 Egypt Rising by Stan Schatt


The beginning: "Have you ever wonder what it would be like to be one of those perfect girls? You know the ones I mean--tiny noses that never cry out for a nose job, perfectly white teeth--straight as an arrow, and hair that doesn't frizz when you walk out in the Cairo sun."
 
Page 56: " 'I hear Western women love to do things our women are forbidden to do,' the shorter man said and ran his tongue across his mouth in anticipation."
 
The first lines of this book made me chuckle because I connected with it when it comes to hair. I'm always envious of my dance sisters who are able to perform and still have perfect hair while I look like I got struck by lightning.

The lines from page 56, though, made me shudder.  When reading this part in the book, I couldn't help but scream at the main character to run away. This was a heart pumping part.
 

11 comments:

  1. I agree with you about Hannibal. I would prefer to not be eaten alive.
    Here's my answer
    http://moniquesmobooks.blogspot.ca/2013/10/book-blogger-hop-16-who-is-your.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do agree with you on this one. My answer to this weeks question can be seen here: http://meandu-justthinking.blogspot.ca/2013/10/book-blogger-hop-101813.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I think of Hannibal Lecter, I think of that line about eating someone's liver with fava beans and a nice Chianti! I'd rather take my chances with Norman Bates.
    About Egypt Rising: I enjoy reading stories set in places I've never been. This sounds like a good one.
    My Friday post is here:
    Friday Post

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great snippets, sounds like someone has image issues in the beginning.

    Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow...I am definitely learning who those characters are and am glad I didn't know. They sound quite frightening.

    I picked a less deadly villain. :)

    Happy Hopping!!

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My Blog Hop Answer

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmm, I never think of the Phantom as a villain, really. I wonder why not? He is totally creepy. As is Dracula. I've always thought turning vampires into something sexy was odd.

    --Brenda @Daily Mayo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stopping back to comment on your book beginnings. :)

    Nice beginning...thanks for sharing.

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My Book Beginnings

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey there Vonnie!! Like your answer to both of those - Never thought about The Ghost before...Thanks for makin me think!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I keep seeing this book at blogs. It sound like a popular read. Here is my Book Beginning at Mixed Book Bag

    ReplyDelete